Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Black Moses R.I.P.


I was saddened to hear of Isaac Hayes death on Sunday. I went through a period in the early 90s where I was really into 70s soul, in particular Blaxploitation film soundtracks. Of course the theme from Shaft is the greatest single piece of blaxploitation film music (Curtis Mayfield's Super Fly is the best album), and there is a lot to like about Hayes' other musical work, especially the packaging. Pictured above is my copy of Black Moses, perhaps one of the most over the top record cover designs in history. He certainly had a lot of confidence.

2 comments:

ben said...

that cover is amazing.

M* said...

I agree the cover is amazing!

The Album Title and Cover Alone was too cool and when you unfold it and lay it out lIke You did, u trip out more!

creative idea way back in '71!